TUNIS: Tunisian police have broken up three “cells” that were recruiting fighters for ISIS and arrested 11 people suspected of trying to join the Islamist militant group in Libya, the Tunisian Ministry of Interior said.
Tunisia has been on high alert against possible attacks since Islamist gunmen killed almost 60 tourists in March this year at the popular Bardo Museum in Tunis and at a beach hotel in Sousse.
ISIS claimed responsibility for both attacks. Officials said all three attackers were trained in camps over the border in Libya, where political chaos has allowed Islamist militants to grow in strength.
“The National Guard counterterrorism unit dismantled three cells which sent young people to Libya,” the Interior Ministry said in statement late Monday.
Last week, Tunisia seized two bomb-laden cars and weapons on the border with Libya. In July, the government began building a wall along the border to stop Islamist militants slipping across.
The government says that over 3,000 Tunisians have left to fight for Islamist militant groups in Syria, Iraq and Libya. Some of them have threatened to return home and carry out attacks on Tunisian soil.